Shakshuka: Middle Eastern Brunch Delight
Shakshuka is a mouthwatering Middle Eastern brunch dish that’s not only delicious but also visually stunning. This flavorful recipe combines poached eggs, simmered in a rich tomato and chili pepper sauce, making it the perfect choice for a leisurely weekend brunch with friends and family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 large eggs
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic, diced red bell pepper, ground cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the peppers soften.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for about 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
- Make small wells in the sauce and carefully crack the eggs into them. Cover the skillet and cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot with crusty bread or pita.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern brunch classic that’s as flavorful as it is beautiful. With a rich tomato and chili pepper sauce cradling perfectly poached eggs, it’s a dish that’s sure to impress your brunch guests.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 240
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
- Sodium: 550mg
- Potassium: 680mg
- Sugar: 9g
- Vitamin A: 34%
- Vitamin C: 102%
- Calcium: 10%
- Iron: 17%
Shakshuka is not just a delightful brunch dish; it’s an experience that transports your taste buds to the vibrant streets of the Middle East. The combination of poached eggs and the aromatic tomato and chili pepper sauce creates a symphony of flavors that’s hard to resist.
Imagine a lazy Sunday morning, the sun streaming through your kitchen window, and the enticing aroma of Shakshuka filling the air. You gather around the table with loved ones, dipping warm bread into the rich sauce, and savoring each bite. It’s a brunch to remember, a moment of togetherness that warms your heart.
The beauty of Shakshuka lies not only in its taste but also in its versatility. You can customize it with your favorite toppings, like feta cheese, olives, or even spinach, to make it your own.
So, next time you’re planning a brunch gathering or simply want to treat yourself to something special, whip up a batch of Shakshuka. It’s a Middle Eastern delight that brings people together and leaves everyone craving for more.